Companies around the world are mining for mind power in Silicon Valley.
Putting it all in perspective (in the US):
- 462: approximate number of currently active US venture capital firms (investing at least $5 million in companies)
- 1,022: number of venture firms in year 2000, firms at the height of the tech bubble.
- $149 million: average venture fund size.
- $176.7 billion: dollar amount spent by venture firms from 2000-2010
- $3.1 trillion: According to the 2011 Venture Impact study, originally venture-backed companies accounted for 11.87 million jobs and over $3.1 trillion in revenue in the United States (based on 2010 data). Those totals compare to 21% of GDP and 11% of private sector employment.
FACT: In 2010, venture capitalists invested approximately $22 billion into nearly 2,749 companies. Of these, 1,001 companies received funding for the first time.